Pardon my braggadocio, but, hey, if you aim to give the Best Performance by an Emmy Pundit, you have to get all huffy or it’s no fun, right? You can see all of my Emmy predictions here. Explanations below. If you dare to disagree, post your comments below.
BEST COMEDY SERIES
A neck-and-neck horse race between “Atlanta” and “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.” Out of our 27 Experts, 14 pick “Atlanta” and 13 say “Maisel.” Both have drawbacks. “Atlanta” isn’t the kind of knee-slapping gigglefest that usually wins here, while “Maisel” is a one-hour nominee in a category usually dominated by half-hour fare. Both programs scored three victories at the Creative Arts awards last weekend. I’m going with “Atlanta” because voters tend to hold back the comedy-series crown a bit. “Veep” didn’t win until its fourth best-series nomination. Now “Atlanta,” in its second year, competes against newbie “Maisel,” so it probably has the edge. If “Atlanta” wins, it will be the first time that a basic cable network (FX) has claimed this category. If “Maisel” does it, the victory will be a first for a streaming service (Amazon).
BEST COMEDY ACTOR
Donald Glover (“Atlanta”) won last year and still has major mojo, but Bill Hader (“Barry”) and Ted Danson (“The Good Place”) are serious threats.
- Netflix to debut ‘Roma’ in 100+ theaters concurrent with web release
- How will ‘First Man’ take off at the Oscars?
- Oscar Best Picture race: ‘Roma’ and ‘A Star Is Born’ are tied for lead with 7/1 odds
- He will rock you: Rami Malek (‘Bohemian Rhapsody’) breaks out as a leading Oscar rival for Best Actor
- Oscar predictions slugfest over Best Actor: Pete Hammond vs. Anne Thompson vs. Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Oscar category confusion bedevils ‘The Favourite’ stars: Should Olivia Colman go for lead race?
- ‘Car Trouble’: New novel by Gold Derby Emmy Expert Robert Rorke
- ‘Game of Thrones’ reclaimed its crown in a dramatic coup at the Emmys
- Gold Derby Editor Tom O’Neil’s fearless,100% perfect, infallible, brilliant Emmy predictions
- Emmy predictions slugfest: Gold Derby editors Tom O’Neil vs. Paul Sheehan (Everybody, duck!) [PODCAST]
1A Star Is Born10/1
9If Beale Street Could Talk11/1
- Updated on: 15 Oct 18, 22:56 pm PT